The Association for Cultural Studies (ACS) seeks proposals from institutions interested in hosting the biennial “Crossroads in Cultural Studies” conference in 2016 and beyond. Founded in 2002, the Association for Cultural Studies (ACS) aims at forming and promoting an effective worldwide community of cultural studies. It is intended as a tool for building strong interdisciplinary and transnational connections by offering meaningful meeting places for the great diversity of committed scholars in this field. The ACS helps establish, maintain and strengthen contacts between cultural studies scholars and workers across different disciplines and within as well as between the different countries and regions of the world, by spreading information and encouraging collaborative work, facilitating the creation and linking of local, national and regional cultural studies groups.
The most important events that the ACS organizes to achieve these objectives are the “Crossroads in Cultural Studies” conferences, which were started in 1996 in Tampere, Finland. Although cultural studies was becoming increasingly international and multi-centered – or rather centerless because of its virtual nature – cultural studies people had scarce opportunities to see each other, to exchange ideas and to socialize. The “Crossroads in Cultural Studies” conferences were designed to fill this gap in the cultural studies community. The conference is not organized around specific themes, though visible subthemes inform plenary and spotlight sessions as well as individual panels.
The 2014 conference will be held in Tampere, Finland. Previous locations include:
- Tampere, Finland
- Birmingham, England
- Urbana, Illinois, USA
- Istanbul, Turkey
- Kingston, Jamaica
- Lingnan, Hong Kong
- Paris, France
Conference proposals should address the following details:
- Concept / vision for the conference (including its contribution to regional and global development of cultural studies)
- Likely institutional support (financial, facilities, labor)
- Description of the main conference venue(s)
- Conference activities / format (including ancillary activities, such as tours, receptions, etc.)
- Anticipated members of planning and program committees
- Schedule of important dates (for the overall planning of the conference, publicity, CFPs, and the actual conference dates)
- Description of local facilities for travel / lodging / meals (airports, shuttle buses, hotels, dorms, restaurants, catering, etc.)
- Anticipated budget
- The year(s) for which your proposal is intended (e.g., 2016, 2018, 2020)
The overall proposal should demonstrate sufficient facilities and support for at least 500 attendees for a span of 4-5 days.
We are open to proposals from anywhere in the world but, for 2016, we are especially interested in proposals from institutions located in the global South.
Please direct any inquiries to:
ACS Administrative Secretary
Proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 January 2014